June 30, 2009

Rock Springs Wyoming

This last summer my wife and I drove to her hometown of Rock Springs, Wyoming to visit her family. Whenever we go there I bring my camera, it's like a toothbrush - you don't travel without one.

Unlike the previous trips I had a couple goals on this one.
1. I wanted to create some portraits in an industrial setting since Rock Springs main businesses are mining and oil/natural gas.

2. I wanted to capture scenery photos while everyone was lighting fireworks on the 4th of July.
3. I also wanted to drive outside of the town to photograph some of the surrounding landscape.

So,
1. I found a train yard with some train cars laying on their sides to work as a setting for some photographs of my wife's sister and a friend. Thank you Chanci and Liz for being our models.
2. I put down the lighter and fireworks just long enough to photograph other people blowing things up.
3. Melanie's uncle asked me around 10pm at a BBQ (one of the things I love about our trips - BBQ just about every night) if I wanted to get up at 5am and go for a drive to an area that has some beautiful views. . . needless to say I couldn't pass that up. Thank you Uncle Larry!

The train yard.

The good life.

Larry with his coffee in hand. . . 5:24am.


Here's a little more info about Rock Springs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Springs,_Wyoming

No comments: